“Sunny day, sweepin’ the clouds away, on my way to where the air is sweet. Can you tell me how to get, how to get to… Mount Colah!”
Do you remember singing along to this theme song for Sesame Street lyrics as a child?
I’m sure many of us remember learning how to count and say our ABCs from the characters from Sesame Street. This long-standing children’s program has been loved by millions of kids around the world and continues to entertain and teach. Its catchy tunes and fun ways of learning things has taught us values such as kindness, friendship and how to be a good neighbour. Both adult and children can learn from this – being a good neighbour promotes friendlier, safer and more connected communities.
The Friends of Mount Colah (FOMC) group believes in bringing Mt Colah neighbours together. At our meetings, we brainstorm ideas about how we can do this. How well do we know our neighbours? When was the last time we had a conversation with them? These are just a few questions we need to ask ourselves to work out how we can be a better, or even an awesome neighbour!
These are some tips on how to be an awesome neighbour:
- Introduce yourself: if you’ve just moved into the neighbourhood or you have new neighbours moving in, go over and say “Hello!”
- Help your neighbours: ask them if they need a helping hand. A little kindness can go a long way. Your neighbours may also be able to help you out too – it’s a two-way street.
- Keep noise levels down: be considerate about your noise levels especially if you’re having a party or listening to loud music.
- Be a responsible home owner: looking after your home and surrounding areas can promote a more comfortable living environment for you and your neighbours.
- Participate in community activities: being active in your neighbourhood means you may make new friends and enhance the experience of living in your neighbourhood.
If you’d like to find out more about Friends of Mount Colah, send us an email at email@example.com or Facebook us at: Friends of Mount Colah