At LS Legal we specialise in a number of areas, one being Elder Law. A common question is ‘what is elder law?’
In a nutshell, elder law is an umbrella term being used to describe legal services that are particularly focused on the older members of our community and aging. Essentially it is any aspect of law in relation to an older person and their care givers.
• Advice on retirement living including review of retirement village contracts
• Advise on the legal aspects of financing your retirement including reverse mortgages and home equity release schemes
• Estate planning needs including preparation of Wills and detailed advice especially in changing family dynamics
• Preparation of Powers of Attorney and Enduring Guardianships
• Advice on aged care facility agreements, including negotiating and ensuring the relevant aged care principles are included in your agreement
• Advising on how to protect yourself from elder financial abuse (whether by third parties or family members)
• Taking action when someone is being financially or socially abused or at risk of being abused or being unduly influenced.
• Advising and acting in proceedings in the NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal Guardianship Division and the Supreme Court protective list.
• Educating and liaising with medical professionals and aged care facilities on issues of capacity and signs of elder abuse
This list is certainly not exhaustive. We have unique experience in being through the aged care complaints process by helping family members.
We have acted for retirement villages in preparing village contracts, so are aware of some of the ‘hidden’ consequences of moving into a retirement village and what you need to look for.
We often see clients who have seen other lawyers who have advised nothing could be done, when there were steps that could have been taken if only they had had our experience and knowledge.
If you or your loved one or friend has any legal needs, don’t just see a generalist, see someone who specialises in legal aspects for older persons. Leah and the team at LS Legal are experienced and passionate about this area and here to help.
Contact LS Legal today on 9484 1165 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our main office is in Beecroft, and we also have a CBD office by appointment. Home visits are available for immobile clients.